Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Original Cup of Coffee

I recently was struck with a difficult dilemma, how do you make that first cup of coffee in the morning? I like to consider myself a coffee connoisseur, whereas my wife prefers to call it an addiction. I don't really like the word addiction, so many negative connotations. Nevertheless, I often need a good cup of strong java to get my gray matter going early in the morning. Case and point - the other day I added the coffee grounds straight to the cup and then added hot water. It took me a minute to realize my mistake. And I also realized that it can be very difficult to make that first cup of coffee in the morning.

Certainly my experience with the original cup of coffee is similar to Chazal's comment about the original pair of tongs in Pirkei Avot 5:9.
Ten things were created at twilight on the eve of the first Sabbath:
Others add the original tongs, for tongs must be made with tongs.
The true meaning of the verse in Avot could be discussed on many levels: It could be a response to the Prometheus legend - that fire is a gift from HaShem. Perhaps it refers to the fact that the impulse to create technology and tools is part of the divine spark of creation. My own midrashic (and even possibly Chassidic) explanation of this Mishnah is that it refers to the first tools of creation. Only HaShem can create perfect tools ex nihilo. The rest of us are left struggling to make that first cup of coffee in the morning.

ps - As a coffee connoisseur making instant coffee is not an option. In fact, I would boldly state that drinking instant coffee is one of the signs of an unenlightened life.

1 comment:

  1. I have often said that the uncaffeinated life is not worth living.

    ReplyDelete